My own images inspiring this project
Sacking and Red, Alberto Burri, 1954
From researching Burri's 'plastics', it inspired me to develop and explore the manipulation of the properties of plastic. Below I have experimented with different consistencies of PVA glue and acrylic paint in order to achieve different effects. I also experimented with ironing on a sheet of plastic onto the paint to create a melted effect.
This project looks into the explorations of the properties of different materials, exploring textures and working with incompatible processes. Inspired by the mundane from walks through the city and the diversity of textures in the environment.
Rossa Plastica 5, Alberto Burri, 1962
Experimental work PVA glue, acrylic paint and plastic
Exploring Materials & Their Properties
Development using textiles
Above I have explored the use of mixed media alongside different materials. I distressed fabrics and explored the effect of applying acrylic paint and creating an emulsion with pumice.
I further experimented with different materials such as masking tape and clear tar gel to create different textures and layers.
I found mixing acrylic paint and PVA glue together created similar characteristics to that of melted plastic. The PVA glue gives the paint a malleable quality, allowing me to contort and stretch into desired shapes. I also explored using the dry brush technique on top of crinkled plastic. I found this effect really interesting and it inspired me to explore this idea further.
Experimentation with mixed media
Exploration of the qualities of plastics
FURTHER DEVOLPMENTAL PIECES
Continued developmental works
MY FINAL PIECES
As a final response to this project, I created a triptych. I took the techniques I found most interesting and successful. I incorporated them into individual compositions, I was interested in the exploration of different colour schemes, and by creating three compositions it enabled me to explore this.
Drippings, mixed media, each 47x47cm